Re: Cutting Spur Gears with a Shaper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill S on July 11, 2003 at 15:47:52:

In Reply to: Cutting Spur Gears with a Shaper posted by Mike on July 04, 2003 at 15:57:54:

Mike,
I suppose when you say "...cut gears with a shaper using single point rack form cutter...", you're talking about a table shaper, not a Fellows type gear shaper. A single point rack form cutter could not rotate as a fellows cutter would and produce the correct involute profile.

A table shaper would have to be set up with the right gear rolling motion synced with a lateral table displacement, and a way to index from tooth to tooth. I suppose a gear could be cut that way. I can imagine a number of error sources (table backlash, alignments, etc.) contributing to tooth-to-tooth spacing and involute profile errors.

The old Brown & Sharp method uses profile cutters to cut teeth in one pass, but cutters of the same pitch are designed with modified profile to cover different ranges of teeth.

Your idea is an interesting one - has anyone else tried to do this?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]