Re: Cutting Spur Gears with a Shaper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Schmidt on April 02, 2004 at 03:14:45:

In Reply to: Re: Cutting Spur Gears with a Shaper posted by Bill S on July 29, 2003 at 13:39:40:

Iknow this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could answer a question? In the post above, you stated that "I would note that the pitch circle disk diameter used with tension wires should be reduced by the diameter of one tension wire, i.e., diameter of disk = Pitch diameter - wire diameter for anyone wanting to try it. Not a large effect for a large pitch diameter and small wires, but could be significant for small PD's." I have seen this stated before in regard to gearcutting using this method, and my question is 'why'? I don't understand why the wire diameter should have anything to do with the rolling motion occurring during the cutting process. It's not like the wire is wrapping around and increasing the rotational diameter. Is this info wrong, or am I missing something obvious (wouldn't be the first time). Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]