Re: Helical bevel gears

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on April 06, 2007 at 15:18:02:

In Reply to: Re: Helical bevel gears posted by Josh Ward on February 21, 2007 at 20:36:57:

Well, Hano Lourens got it right. Only the H&H machines can make these helical bevel or skew-bevel gears, not the Gleasons because there is no cutter offset on the Gleason machines either on the 2-tool or the coniflex disk cutter machines.
- Gleason either never found this design worthwhile or was not interested.
- they look exactly like the name says - helical bevel. Take a straight bevel gear and cross it with a spiral bevel. Easier still, draw a straight line from the toe to the heel of any spiral bevel gear and you will see what it looks like.
- I have not checked in detail but I believe they are less noisy than straight bevels and stronger too
- a simple, but important, advantage if you can "tilt" the cutters is that if you have a hub or shaft in front of the gear you can cut it without worrying about the cutters hitting the hub
- you may be surprised but there are still many, many applications where these are used and we make these gears everyday.
- anybody want pictures? I would be glad to send them
Good question to post!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]