Re: Hobbing a Prime gear??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on August 26, 2006 at 14:16:53:

In Reply to: Re: Hobbing a Prime gear?? posted by Ed Baker on August 21, 2006 at 16:40:20:

Surely some one else has thought of trying a prime gear this way. CPC-HOB software failed for a shop that tried it (using both change gears and differential, one for 10 deg LH, the other for 10 deg RH). It resulted in a helix angle rather than a spur gear.

I suspect the differential depends on the index gears to be synced for the spur prime number. But the index/feed part of the combined setup uses a non-synced index ratio that causes a predetermined "drift" in helix angle.

Can anyone else report on results using CPC-HOB in the "dual" mode? Or share any other experience combining two setups this way?

Looks like superimposing two equal but opposite helix setups doesn't work. Maybe solving two equations simultaneously would generate a 0 angle. But what are the equations? And, would the math be different for different machines that might internally gear the index and differential differently?

If combining two setups can be practically applied to hobbing large prime gears on any hob machine design, that would be a real breakthrough.

If I can't resolve this issue with CPC-HOB, I'll be forced to remove the "Dual" option, and I hate to do that if it works for some people.

Please offer your thoughts - Does anyone have experience combining setups like this?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]