Re: Gleason No. 26 Hypoid Generator Versacut

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on July 29, 2015 at 09:03:11:

In Reply to: Gleason No. 26 Hypoid Generator Versacut posted by Mitch on July 27, 2015 at 18:07:29:

I think Versacut cutters are simply longer for extra depth cutting. Also, Gleason has made a Versacut list of cutters to cut a range of spiral bevels with minimum number of cutters (5 I believe).

Cutters for hypoid bevels must cover a number of pressure angles, and different cutter numbers describing differing IB and OB blade angles for pinions. Plus cutter point widths, blade points, depts, etc. to accomodate tooth designs.

I am interested in helping someone to cut hypoids by providing summaries using CPC-HYP which is still in field testing.

I think that tooling is a big expense on shops wanting to find their way into cutting hypoid sets.

There are some shops using UNITOOL method and are having some success with smaller hypoid sets of high ratios.

Big Hypoid sets of high ratio probably will always require methods that cut gear formate and cut pinion two-sided (3 production steps not including roughing). With formate gear, all profile must be applied to the pinion, and the two-sided method of pinion generation allows pattern correction to be independently applied to each convex/concave pinion flank.

But with proper design of cutters, duplex methods can be used especially for small sets in high production shops.

I really hope others with shop and machine experience will add to the discussion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]