Re: thread milling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on August 19, 2014 at 08:58:36:

In Reply to: Re: thread milling posted by Josh on August 18, 2014 at 16:06:49:

Hey Josh - This thread was opened by NITKHA78 who's trying to use his HMW, just as you might describe it - He's trying to cut a spline but the teeth are wavy (I think), so I hope he sends me some pictures of the part that I can post here. Maybe you can give him some things to watch out for in this type of setup since you were doing something similar.

I can see that a dividing head coupled to milling machine is perfect in theory, but may have limits in practice.

Hey, I just thought - maybe NITKHA78 meant to say the teeth are helical? Now that could be due to some feed table motion going into the dividing head which adds (or subtracts) rotation to the workpiece as the table feeds - what are those change gears mounted on the right side of the dividing head (top row, middle image) - they look like they drive the dividing head from the table feed. Does the dividing head have two input shafts? To cut straight teeth, you don't want any table feed geared to the dividing head. Only the change gears on the back of the machine are required to synchronize the cutter with the workpiece.

Or, is it an output shaft? are you using the change gears to drive table feed?

I so confused...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]