Re: Test on obsolete forum at obsolete IP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on February 01, 2015 at 10:19:32:

In Reply to: Re: Test on obsolete forum at obsolete IP posted by BillS on January 30, 2015 at 10:54:19:

Another thought:
Some visitors were seeing the current website, some were always seeing the old site, and (I think) some were seeing each at different times.

This must be due to different domain name servers (DNS) across the world serving different IP numbers for the same Domain Name; i.e. Meshingwithgears.com. I never saw the old server until I used the faulty IP number. Evidently, the default DNS that I am routed to was translating correctly, but other name servers were obviously translating to the faulty IP number. And, as a DNS becomes busy, routing could change and visitors could be "routed" to alternate IP's, which by design are supposed to be the same IP.

Okay, this has been enough conjecture and excuses, but if anyone has something to add, please post.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]