Converting from 116 to 16 spiral machine settings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on December 14, 2013 at 14:56:20:

Hi All,
I'm having a problem with Gleason's Spiral Bevel machine setting's conversion. I'm trying to get no. 16 settings for tilt angles by converting from no. 116 settings. I have a number of copies of the conversion form, but they are all the same. So surely I'm missing something.

Step 19, in my example, is 1.25 deg and -1.25 deg for gear OB and IB, respectively. These come from Unitool method, Formate Pairs Calculating sheet for no.116 machine, step 147, OB and IB. Seems right since cutting a 21.25 deg PA gear Formate with a 20PA cutter.

What seems wrong is that I calculate No. 16 tilt angles at conversion step 30 for gear: OB = 1.25 deg and IB = 361.25 deg. Since 1.25 deg = 361.25 deg, should I be doing something different at step 30?

I don't expect the gear OB and IB Tilt settings to be the same on the no. 16 machine. Cutting the gear Formate (without roll) means the cutter must be tilted to make OB PA correct, then set-over applied and cutter tilted the opposite way to get IB PA correct.

Could someone describe how to do step 30?

I can send the conversion form if necessary, but I suspect something about the form might be assumed and not stated. For example: Should I use Absolute Value |step19| in step 30 ??, or???

This is driving me nuts! I don't have a sample conversion all filled out, so if someone has a filled-out 116 to 16 conversion and would share, I'd be very much obliged !

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]