Re: Tilting head mechanism for manufacturing spiral bevel gears

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on January 09, 2010 at 17:28:13:

In Reply to: Tilting head mechanism for manufacturing spiral bevel gears posted by Cevat Ceyhun on January 09, 2010 at 05:56:30:

Interesting question, Cevat.

I just finished a Unitool Program (a Gleason method) that uses cutter tilt and a table that shows machine settings for an amount of cutter tilt. It seems that swivel angle must be changed when cutter tilt is used.

In your example, I think that you would want 2 degrees of cutter tilt (20 -18), and according to the table that corresponds to:

alpha = 86D 18M
Ix = 7D 40M

I haven't produced the formula(s) that reproduce the table yet, so I can only look up the numbers (the Unitool program has the table coded in).

Ix, if I understand the machine setting, is the rotation of the cutter spindle about the cutter tilt axis, which is inclined at 15 deg to the machine centerline.

I don't understand alpha angle. It is described as "one of the components of this (tilt) setting".

Maybe someone with hands-on cutter tilt experience can add some info?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]