Re: barber colman #12 gear hobber questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Pollock on September 15, 2009 at 20:45:16:

In Reply to: Re: barber colman #12 gear hobber questions posted by BillS on September 15, 2009 at 00:03:46:

I checked the hobber out with an indicator and the main spindle has no play at all either in and out or up and down. It does have about .002 backlash in the index gear when checked on a tooth of a 3" diameter gear that is mounted on the work marbor.

The hob spindle doesn't have any movement up and down or in and out. I does have quite a bit of backlash in the gears though.

Also my flywheel is not connected directly to the hob spindle. It is attached to another shaft that drives the hob spindle through a set of gears. These two gears have a little backlash. Also the flywheel was really loose on its shaft. I tightened it up by drilling and tapping it for three set screws. Do you think this loose flywheel would be causing my problem?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]