Re: Mass Deburr

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MKK on September 13, 2007 at 03:18:42:

In Reply to: Mass Deburr posted by STSJohn on September 12, 2007 at 18:48:09:

I assume the burr is on one side of the gear meaning one end or the other. The tumbling most likely rolled over the burr rather than actually removing it. What is the quantity involved? You can try to face the one end with a very sharp tool and take off only a few thousands at the most. Next put the gears on a stick, (we like to use a brass or aluminum rod (wood also is good) this prevents the hole from changing size. Take a round wire brush, mounted on a nut type arbor in a spindle on an old hand lathe or double wheel grinder machine and brush the gears so the burr goes out of the part. be sure to brush both sides of the teeth. After you brush the burrs out of the gear teeth, turn the parts arroud and brush in the other direction. This should break off the burr. You may want to use deburring compound on the wheel as it aids in removing the particles. You will need a stiff wire to remove heavy burrs. The soft wires and the Tampico wire brushed dont remove much. I have worked with that rolled gear stock and the teeth are hard from the rolling process. Let me know how it works out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]