Re: Gleason 12 adjustment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BillS on August 31, 2006 at 17:51:19:

In Reply to: Gleason 12 adjustment posted by Sargent Caldwell on August 29, 2006 at 20:45:41:

I never owned a No. 12, but it may be like a No. 3 when it comes to the gage for tool setting.

The no. 3 had upper and lower "bridge" gages to set the height of each tool. You would bring each tool forward manually to its maximum height (depth of cut) and sweep the correct (upper or lower) bridge gage across the point. The tool was then adjusted in its holder to zero out the gage. This was repeated on the other tool using the other gage. This established a reference cutting depth and aligned both tools to avoid a step in the root surface.

These gages were set to a Master which came with each machine. When you put the bridge gage on the master, you could zero out the dial to calibrate it. Does that sound like your gages?

If so, I think you could setup the bridge gages to the master, set the tooling to the gages, and cut a gear. If the root indicates that each tool is at the same depth, then the master and gages are working for this machine.

Once the machine is setup for correct depth on a job, you would reuse the bridge gages to reset the tools after removal for sharpening.

Let me know if this is incorrect - Maybe someone with experience on a No. 12 can share their knowledge.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]