worm gear & shaft

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MKK on May 14, 2008 at 21:25:31:

I have a client who has a simple gear box assembly.
It contains a bronze worm gear, 20T/2 module, 20 pa, 4.557 degree helix angle right hand, (throated worm gear). It mates with a worm in the gear box, The actual bronze gear has a 5/8 diameter shaft which is about 12" long and is assembled with a roll pin thru the hub.
The gear will turn when the worm is the driver.
The worm will not turn when the gear is the driver.
The customer has an idea if the bronze gear is not throated and manufactured similar to a helical gear, that this will solve the turning problem.
The assembly to work as intended is to have the bronze gear run off a motor and turn the worm.
Is this possible, I thought the worm always drives the gear and not vice-versa. I only manufacture gears to print and am not involved with design issues.
I did cut the bronze gear as a helical and it does not look promising. By the way it is a single thread worm if this matters. Again, I always thought the smaller gear drives the larger gear.
Any feedback? The other idea the client has was to change the worm to a double start (or ratio)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]