Re: Production question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James on June 01, 2005 at 03:02:51:

In Reply to: Production question posted by MKK on May 26, 2005 at 07:58:17:

I am certain that you would get faster production time if the parts were shaped rather than hobbed. I calculated a production time of 140 to 150 pcs. per hour using a 2" PD shaper cutter @ 450 strokes per minute. and a moderate feed rate(This includes a 1 minute changeover time.) There are Two things you should concider when deciding whether to shape or hob, the first is accuracy, Hobbing generally produces a more accurate gear due to the fact that you have less deflection and runout or tooth thickness variation problems that you would have when shaping. If the gears are not extremely high precision then this is not a huge issue. The second thing that I would concider is that shaping is a little bit higher maintenance than hobbing, If one tooth chips on the shaper cutter then it will only show up in one or two areas on the gear and if not careful you could produce a whole bunch of gears with one or two bad teeth. You just have to be a little more careful when shaping. As far as production times go I think that shaping is generally faster.

Hope this helps you. :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]