Face slot - Please Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael K on April 23, 2005 at 08:51:13:

I have to mill a radius in the face of a gear
(kind of like a woodruf key slot) the depth of the slot is .041/.039, they are asking for .094 radius 2 places.
Standard tolerances are +/-.005". The width on the slot on the surface is .210", In other words i have to sink the cutter in (.187 standard diameter of cutter for .094 radius ) and move over.
Shank diameter of cutter (or undercut will have to be aprox .100" diameter)
I tried grinding an end mill with a Dumore tool post grinder but this did not work due to the spindle is not running true, I think it is bent on the grinder. Then i found some "burrs" (tooling that is) and tried this on a scrap piece of brass. It cut real nice but the shank dia was too large.
I tried to grind the shank on the O.D. grinder with no luck, I think they were made out of carbide.
They want a .015 radius max in the other sides of the slot so a ball end mill will not work. I am so frustrated with this job its only for two pieces and the material is 2024-t4 aluminum. Any suggestions for the tool, I would like to make it in house or at least try.

I was thinking about a tulip counterbore which has centers in each end I can grind the length
and maybe use the side of the drill as an end mill. I only have to go .040" deep. What do you think. My next move is to look an the web for small tools with a useable shank diameter.
I am late on the order and cant wait for a custom tool which will probally not be available due to safety concerns regarding the small shank diameter.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]