Re: Problem with customer design

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee on April 14, 2005 at 19:32:15:

In Reply to: Re: Problem with customer design posted by Charley on April 13, 2005 at 21:54:15:

Hi Charley

That is a small gear. :)
You should be able to measure the worm with
3 pins,(1.92 divided by Diametral Pitch Normal = Ball or Pin required) most of the Worms I have made are (2) start so i can calculate them like a Helical Gear with 2 Teeth, LOL,You have to know Normal Circular Tooth Thickness, If you do not this then must have Center Distance.
A (1) start will have to be calculated like thread. Once the worm is established , You can use the production parts as master, but it is prefered to make a master worm , (fixture between centers), Make a cheap fixt to hold master worm & your worm gear to a set center distance & thus verify pattern on worm gear.
by using (bluing on worm gear)or compound,(name slips me now)I prefer to use blue dykem.
The .265 dia must be the worm?, surely the worm gear is bigger? any way .010 diffrence on outside dia should not affect center distance.
if Normal circular Tooth Thicknes is held on both worm gear & worm. The theoretical Pitch Diameter
shall be the same, thus your center distance plus back lash if any. If I am in correct please advise.

Hope This helps

Lee

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]