ARBORING 101

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MIKE POTERE on March 11, 2005 at 22:29:12:

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF ANY PUBLICATION THAT TALKS ABOUT THE DO'S & DO NOT'S OF ARBORING. THERE SEEMS TO BE (2) DIFFERENT SCHOOLS OF THINKING IN OUR SHOP AND I AM TRYING TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT.
FOR EXAMPLE, ONE OF THE FELLOWS IN OUR SHOP BELIEVES THAT ON OUR WORK PIECE ARBORS THAT EACH NUT SHOULD BE MARRIED TO THE ARBOR. WHAT HE DOES IS BOTTOMS THE NUT OUT AGAINST THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD AND SKIM CUTS IT ON THE LATHE (WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE TOTALLY INCORRECT).
HERE ARE SOME OF THE QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE:
I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW THIS EMPLOYEE PUBLICATIONS FROM REPUTABLE PEOPLE AND/ OR COMPANIES IN THE INDUSTRY. MAYBE HE WILL BELIEVE THEM. OPTIMUMLY, THE PUBLICATIONS WOULD TALK ABOUT:
HARDENED & GROUND ARBOR NUTS
THE ADVANTAGES OF USING HARDENED & GROUN ARBORS
THE IMPORTANCE OF PARALLEL PARTS AND PACKING (SO THAT THE ARBOR DOES NOT BEND, ETC.
ALSO, THIS EMPLOYEE ALSO DOES NOT THINK THAT IT IS THAT IT IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT TO USE OIL ON THE HOBS WHEN GEAR CUTTING. HE IS OFTEN CUTTING WITHOUT OIL FOR MINUTES OR ENTIRE JOBS AT A TIME. ANYONE KNOW OF ANY PUBLICATIONS ON THIS TOPIC?
I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT,
MIKE POTERE
GEARMAKERS,INC.
mikep@gearmakers.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]