Re: Help with old standard

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by George on October 21, 2004 at 08:24:02:

In Reply to: Re: Help with old standard posted by Bill S on October 20, 2004 at 16:25:53:

Thanks, I think your advice is probably right. To sort this one, its more a job for a sociologist than an engineer!

I think that what may be the answer is that in the 'early' days they just had a gear form. The forms were just marked 4P, 8P, etc. Nobody cared about 'angle', it was just the standard form to shape a gear. Then along came this 20 degree standard, and they called the new one 20, kept calling the old one straight. Only later when there was confusion with the word 'straight' did someone decide to add the label 14-1/2. Only guessing here, but sounds good.

I guess my real question here is what were the odds in the early 1900's that a manufacturer would have used a 'stock' tool, albeit unnamed 14-1/2, versus having his own toolmaker come up with something 'close' based on how the toolmaker thought it should be made, and as long as the gearing worked, no one cared?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Meshing with Gears Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]